September 20, 2012

Day Five: Marseille.2

Waking up bright and early, we set out on our hike up Les Calanques. Les Calanques is a famous cove that was formed between Marseille and Cassis. If you Google Les Calanques, I hope you think that these pictures are gorgeous. I don't want to rub it in or anything, but if you were actually there like I was, those pictures do not do any justice. We climbed for about 1.5 hours to the top and the view? Absolutely breathtaking. I am so glad I found our hiking guide (through Google), Jean-Marc Nardini, because he was amazing. He taught us all about the Calanques and I definitely had an amazing time because of him! Bringing us around the mountains and also driving us to visit the little village that lived in the Calanques was so awesome! Overall, I had a great time hiking and even though it was very difficult at times, the view at the top made it worth it.
Yay! Mountain hiking success :)

What I did not mention yet was the weather in Marseille that day. Despite how sunny and amazing the weather looked like in my pictures so far, it was definitely the opposite. It was freezing cold and the wind was unusually strong. Apparently there was a wind warning, and even the boats were not allowed to sail out of Vieux Port that day (which also meant we weren't able to go visit Château d'If :( sadtimes).
So instead, we went to visit the Notre-Dame de la Garde which is located on the highest view point of Marseille. The wind basically consumed us when we were there. I could barely walk forward because it was so strong, and the pictures definitely captured how strong the wind was. So much lols.
And that's about it for Marseille! And this is also the end of our French Riviera adventures! :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...